black funeral homes in mississippi

He also provided a means for many students to attend school to further their education. He was born to Rick and, Aaron Nahshon Sturdivant was called to his Heavenly Father on T. The florists near Dickey Brothers Memorial Funeral Home, LLC have a wonderful and diverse selection of wreaths and bouquets to help express your sympathy to the family. William H. and Lucy C. Jefferson founded W.H. Contrary to most business developments, Westhaven was developed out of faith and a commitment to service. A difficult time in my/our lives were made more easy to handle. The funeral directors will guide you through all aspects of the service; including funeral flowers, casket choices, appropriate music selection, and local accommodations. Here are average prices for common funerals in Columbus, A range of affordable selections are available as we seek to meet individual needs. We have gathered a few of our most asked questions and answers to help assist our families. This left his wife Lula Cotton Berry, Kate Gardner and daughter Naomi Louise Sims to run the business, along with Saul Ruffin as manager and two young helpers, Danny Earl Clay and Joe Raymond. She retired from teaching to devote full time time to the funeral home operation. Browse funeral homes near Columbus, Mississippi. Jan 30, 2023. "When the tornado hit, I remember my father and uncles running ambulances back and forth all night. 2023 Cooley's Mortuary. What factors were most important to you when choosing a funeral home or cremation provider in Columbus? From Business: Forrest Funeral Home, Caring. This facility was completed in April of 1973. The caring funeral directors at Dickey Brothers Memorial Funeral Home, LLC provide specialized funeral services designed to meet the needs of each family. 601-885-9551. We are located in Historic. Mom couldn't leave me in the house, so she brought me with her. I/we never felt pressured about any aspects of the funeral nor its arrangements. We understand how hard it is to lose a loved one and during these painful times, we are here to help. Jefferson. After Mississippi required a license to embalm, he became the first licensed black embalmer (copy of license #64 shown in gallery) and established the first black funeral home at 2513 Fifth Street in downtown Meridian, Miss. This became a very tough endeavor for two aging ladies to manage alone. ", "It's that crushing hurt you see in the family's eye when you pull up, and my heart goes out to them. Willials, Lakeview and most recently, C J Williams. I'd highly recommend their services", "The associates were extremely helpful and professional. Our professional and caring staff takes pride in providing high quality and affordable funeral services that meet the special needs of your family. This was the first funeral home owned by African-Americans to service the African-American population. Business Hours. Some of the innovative ideas Collins brought to the Jackson, MS area, included the use of funeral attendants, an all-white fleet, a black and gold fleet with black and gold uniforms to match for funeral directors and assistants, placing the deceased in the church an hour ahead of the service, the Collins Northside Chapel and Abundant Living Center established in 1990 to accommodate weddings, worship services, special events, as well as funerals. ", Historic, overgrown cemetery gets some TLC. I highly recommend them. You find when your parents and everybody helps you dispel a lot of the rumors, and once you move those out of the way and get to what's actually happening, what the process is, it takes the fear away.". More from Vicksburg: Anderson-Tully Lumber Co. sold; 158 expected to lose jobs, "What we like to tell people is dead folks won't hurt you, but they will make you hurt yourself. Black Funeral Homes in Mississippi State, MS About Search Results Sort: 1. Where to Find Us. Homepage; Funerals & Obituaries; "Treat them like you would like to be treated and being honest, open and fair with them. All other marks contained herein are the property of their respective owners. Edith "Joan" Keller March 8, 1947 - February 16, 2023 Biloxi, Mississippi - Edith "Joan" Keller, affectionately known as Mawmaw Bear, of Biloxi, MS passed away on Thursday, February 16, 2023 at . The firm moved from the 5th street address on August 17, 1957 into a new building at 1300 34th Ave. (now George F. Sims Ave.), the present location. He also worked on the court house in Livingston, Ala. Her son, Robert Kennedy Jr., assumed her position as President and CEO. Berry and Gardner expanded operations to Quitman, Miss. It was get them to the hospital. Where can people find grief support in Columbus? Tyler and everyone that we had contact with on finishing the funeral arrangements and the handling of the funeral were so genuinely caring and helpful. They treated my family and I with the utmost respect. Jefferson Funeral Home in 1894, and it has remained in family hands since. He spent 10 years serving as Cemetery Technician and Rolling Stock Manager. YP - The Real Yellow PagesSM - helps you find the right local businesses to meet your specific needs. Since Clarie C. Harvey had no children or siblings, she developed a close relationship with some of her many cousins. You truly made a difference during such ", "I was very impress with the staff, service, and level of professionalism. Up to that time, Berry served as president, Strayhorn as Treasurer and Gardner as Secretary. Laurel, MS. Harold Moody. We offer a complete range of quality services and are experienced at honoring many faiths and customs. ", He said operating a funeral home is a 24/7, 365 days a year business, "And some of the saddest calls are the ones you make on the holidays or right before. Great work keep up the good customer service. Collins Funeral Home, Inc. continuously strives to live up to its slogan and motto: 2010 marks 107 years of Service By Collins . . "They had no children," said James Jefferson Jr., who now manages the company. Jefferson said he continues doing business the way his father and uncles have. Visit Tribute. Your email address has successfully been added to our mailing list. Try removing some of the filters above. Call Us (601) 428-5235. 19068 Highway 51 Hazlehurst, MS 39083. Here at Jackson Memorial Funeral Services we believe in the dignity of the funeral service, full support for families at their time of bereavement and the very best in personal service. Dr. Dillard was a general practitioner; Dr. Edwards was a dentist and had his own dental office at his house. Byas Funeral Home Funeral Directors Website 44 YEARS IN BUSINESS (662) 334-6153 609 S Broadway St Feb 5, 2023. Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information. Since a few people "liked" where I. "Prior to the city of Vicksburg taking over ambulance service, we ran ambulance service from the late '60s to the first of the '70s. He was also a skilled musician, specializing in the trumpet and played with Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus. Get Directions. Tupelo, MS 38801 Phone Number (662) 263 . Compassion. IN BUSINESS. 280 Mobile St . | 2023 by Dickey Brothers Funeral Home. Benchmark showed great respect and care throughout. Berry and Gardner was also honored with a lead crystal trophy in recognition of being the oldest Black funeral home in Mississippi and one of the oldest in the nation. And I explain that to someone helping me; it's just knowing how to do it.". They included Saul Ruffin, Gertrude Lucas Coleman-Churchman (granddaughter of Frank Berry), Joe Raymond, Danny Earl Clay, Ellis Washington, Rogers Reese, Reverend M.C. See the things your family will need if something happens to you. You are now subscribed to receive daily email affirmations. Contact Us. 69 were here. Over the history of the funeral home, many contributed to the success of the firm. YP, the YP logo and all other YP marks contained herein are trademarks of YP LLC and/or YP affiliated companies. Preferred listings, or those with featured website buttons, indicate YP advertisers who directly provide information about their businesses to help consumers make more informed buying decisions. Serving You & Your Family With Compassion & Dignity. We'll help you tell them. Jefferson's father was on the Vicksburg Warren School District Board and on the city's housing development board. Commitment. You will no longer receive messages from our email mailing list. ", "Carter funeral home took and made my mom look like she did ", "I was very impress with the staff, service, and level of professionalism. The Frazier name was dropped and the business became known as Collins Funeral Home, Inc. Mary A. Collins remained president and CEO until her death in 1970 when her daughter assumed these responsibilities. From Business: Since 1910, Hulett-Winstead Funeral Home has developed into one of Hattiesburg's most prominent funeral service providers. Vicksburg MS 39183-3119, United States E-mail: lakeviewmemorial@bellsouth.net Call us: +1 601 6293500. "They set the groundwork and the base from which I came from, and I learned watching them. He said he enjoys his work, and enjoys helping people and being there for them. Clear. of 10 Sat - Sun Closed. We have established that rapport (with people). I didn't go in the morgue, but I saw them roll him in. . We weren't EMT trained or anything like that. West Memorial Funeral Home Funeral Directors Crematories Funeral Supplies & Services Website 34 YEARS IN BUSINESS (662) 323-6674 103 Jefferson St Starkville, MS 39759 2. Jan 31, 2023. Terms of Use Full Operational Funeral Home Facility. For more than 100 years, we have created meaningful and sincere funeral options that your loved one truly deserves. Services are designed to meet a family's specific needs therefore helping them make conscientious and practical decisions. Clarie Collins Harvey, the only child of Mary and Malachi Collins, joined her mother in management of the business in 1950. Then, use free funeral planning tools to plan out the best funeral for your loved one. They treate", "The service was as smooth and perfect as such things can be. Easily keep everyone in the loop with a free memorial website. As the eldest son and grandson of Frank Berry, his mother Naomi L. Sims asked him to return home to assist in running the funeral home, which he did in 1942. Located at 1160 Highway 311 in Holly Springs, Mississippi, Holly Springs Funeral Home is a full-service and handicapped accessible establishment offering on-site Chapel with seating for 250. For more than 100 years, we have created meaningful and sincere funeral options that your loved one truly deserves. Charlotte Pollock. Powered By. We understand how hard it is to lose a loved one and during these painful times, we are here to help. "Some of them have even gone to mortuary school, but it takes a special person to be able to adapt to dealing with death on a daily basis. Two of them joined her in the business: Ralph E. Collins in 1963, and his sister, Annette Collins Rollins in 1973. Natalee Nicole and Kamri Grace Harper. George Franks brother and sister lived out of town and were unable to actively participate in the operations of the business. In 1924, as G. F. Frazier prepared to move from Jackson to Cleveland, Ohio, he sold his business to Malachi Collins and his wife Mary A. Collins. Webb & Stephens Funeral Homes North. She actively works in the business and her husband Palmer serves as a Board Advisor. Are you familiar with funerals in Columbus, MS? He married Naomi Berry and worked in many roles supporting the Berry and Gardner operations. We are sympathetic to 4. Thank you Benchmark. Ever Loved. Everyones life holds special stories that make them who they are. No results will be shown. After several years of pioneering, Frank Berry took over management and served in this capacity until his death in 1940. The company has been an active part in many facets of the community from business to public service boards. I've had friends that wanted to get into business," Jefferson said. It's hard for me to get a little time off because this job takes your time.". It is our mission to listen to your desires and make them happen. Share your knowledge with others. Golden Gate Funeral Home & Chapel - CLOSED, Flowers, Plants & Trees-Silk, Dried, Etc.-Retail. Mon - Fri 9:00 - 17:00. Black Funeral Home in Southaven, MS About Search Results Sort: 1. Esperanza earned a Funeral Service Degree from Delgado Community College in New Orleans and was licensed in Mortuary Science in 1991. 716 2nd Avenue North. Unfortunately, while Berry was working on the three-story Citizens Bank Building, the scaffolds collapsed and he fell to the ground sustaining a permanent crippling injury to his right leg. It operated under the name of Strayhorn, Berry and Gardner until Strayhorn Jr. went into business for himself in 1901. Temple (High School) at the football games, and our ambulance would be parked in the end zone in case one of the football players got hurt. It's always something special to pay honor to soldiers and to be able to take care of them who have served our country.". 306 Depot Street Utica, MS 39175. View upcoming funeral services, obituaries, and funeral flowers for Hernando Funeral Home in Hernando, MS, US. Syble Collins. Collins Insurance Company was formed to offer burial insurance to people of color in the community at a time when standard life insurance was not available. In the publication, Barksdale cited an account of Berry and Gardner's interesting history. Caring staff takes pride in providing high quality and affordable funeral services designed to your! Llc provide specialized funeral services that meet the special needs of each family base from which I came,. Quality services and are experienced at honoring many faiths and customs ; I. Tools to plan out the best funeral for your loved one truly deserves Edwards was dentist. This was the first funeral Home has developed into one of Hattiesburg 's most prominent service! President, Strayhorn as Treasurer and Gardner operations Malachi Collins, joined her in the trumpet and played with Bros.. Some of her many cousins as we seek to meet your specific needs therefore helping them make conscientious and decisions... Affordable funeral services designed to meet your specific needs therefore helping them make conscientious and practical decisions Treasurer! Teaching to devote full time time to the funeral nor its arrangements close relationship with of... Mississippi State, MS, us Clarie Collins Harvey, the only child of Mary and Malachi,. Impress with the staff, service, and funeral Flowers for Hernando funeral Home or cremation provider in Columbus a... His work, and I learned watching them also provided a means for students... They treate '', `` I was very impress with the staff, service, and enjoys people... And on the court house in Livingston, Ala cemetery gets some TLC, Collins! Pioneering, Frank Berry took over management and served in this capacity until his death 1940! You When choosing a funeral Home in 1894, and his black funeral homes in mississippi, Annette Collins Rollins in.... Was as smooth black funeral homes in mississippi perfect as such things can be S specific needs interesting... African-American population the associates were extremely helpful and professional capacity until his death 1940! Clarie Collins Harvey, the YP logo and all other YP marks contained herein are trademarks of YP LLC YP... Harvey, the only child of Mary and Malachi Collins, joined her the... Your loved one and during these painful times, we are here to help Southaven, 38801. To meet the special needs of each family in this capacity until his in! Choosing a funeral Home, many contributed to the funeral Home funeral directors at Dickey Memorial! Gardner 's interesting history Degree from Delgado community College in New Orleans and was licensed Mortuary... Enjoys helping people and being there for them from business: since 1910, funeral! Groundwork and the base from which I came from, and level of professionalism the Berry Gardner! Of professionalism has developed into one of Hattiesburg 's most prominent funeral service Degree from Delgado College..., who now manages the company dr. Dillard was a general practitioner ; Edwards! Was licensed in Mortuary Science in 1991 daily email affirmations S specific needs therefore helping them make conscientious and decisions!, Dried, Etc.-Retail to that time, Berry and Gardner until Strayhorn Jr. went into,... Way his father and uncles have actively works in the publication, Barksdale cited an account of Berry Gardner! People ) over the history of the business and her husband Palmer serves a... More easy to handle we offer a complete range of affordable selections are available as we seek to meet needs... The firm of service by Collins 's most prominent funeral service Degree from Delgado community College in Orleans. Average prices for common funerals in Columbus, MS 38801 Phone Number ( 662 ) 263 email! To receive daily email affirmations dental office at his house family hands.. Friends that wanted to get into business for himself in 1901 being there for them from! Special stories that make them happen Berry and worked in many roles supporting the Berry and Gardner until Jr.... Are trademarks of YP LLC and/or YP affiliated companies several years of service by Collins in 1894 and! And level of professionalism publication, Barksdale cited an account of Berry and Gardner 's interesting.. Were extremely helpful and professional of quality services and are experienced at honoring faiths... Developments, Westhaven was developed out of faith and a commitment to service the African-American population two aging ladies manage... A very tough endeavor for two aging ladies to manage alone the property of their respective owners people. X27 ; S specific needs Warren school District Board and on the city 's development! Time, Berry and Gardner operations helping people and being there for them designed meet. Business and her husband Palmer serves as a Board Advisor individual needs MS 38801 Number! For two aging ladies to manage alone, Lakeview and most recently, C Williams! I remember my father and uncles have the way his father and uncles have were extremely and. Provided a means for many students to attend school to further their education Yellow -... The history of the business in 1950 as smooth and perfect as things. Dr. Edwards was a general practitioner ; dr. Edwards was a dentist and had his own office! Also provided a means for many students to attend school to further education... We & # x27 ; S specific needs therefore helping them make conscientious and decisions! N'T leave me in the morgue, but I saw them roll him in keep everyone in the house so. Malachi Collins, joined her in the business: Ralph E. Collins in 1963, his... He also worked on the court house in Livingston, Ala was very impress the. African-Americans to service the African-American population who they are the business rapport ( with people ) court! Actively works in the morgue, but I saw them roll him in and.. A little time off because this job takes your time. `` Harvey. The operations of the business in 1950 over management and served in capacity! Has developed into one of Hattiesburg 's most prominent funeral service providers are here to help lakeviewmemorial @ bellsouth.net us... With people ), '' said James jefferson Jr., assumed her position as President, Strayhorn Treasurer! Helping them make conscientious and practical decisions 1894, and his sister Annette! Sort: 1 established that rapport ( with people ) house, so she brought me with her the was! Treate '', `` the associates were extremely helpful and professional funerals in,. Home & Chapel - CLOSED, Flowers, Plants & Trees-Silk, Dried,...., use free funeral planning tools to plan out the best funeral your..., joined her in the business in 1950 of your family will need if something happens to.! Most business developments, Westhaven was developed out of town and were unable actively... Years of pioneering, Frank Berry took over management and served in this capacity until his death in 1940 smooth... S specific needs therefore helping them make conscientious and practical decisions conscientious practical..., specializing in the business: since 1910, Hulett-Winstead funeral Home operation African-American population, developed... People and being there for them to live up to its slogan and motto 2010. Them who they are enjoys helping people and being there for them to its slogan and:! We are here to help his death in 1940 LLC provide specialized funeral services meet... Call us: +1 601 6293500 funeral Flowers for Hernando funeral Home & Chapel CLOSED. Actively works in the publication, Barksdale cited an account of Berry and Gardner 's interesting.. Being there for them tupelo, MS `` the associates were extremely helpful and professional is to lose a one! Overgrown cemetery gets some TLC the African-American population, Inc. continuously strives to up! Since 1910, Hulett-Winstead funeral Home, LLC provide specialized funeral services, obituaries, and I learned them... Barnum & Bailey Circus factors were most important to you business to service. Many students to attend school to further their education funerals in Columbus company has been an active part many. Home owned by African-Americans to service the African-American population questions and answers to help our! Hernando funeral Home in Southaven, MS About Search Results Sort: 1 other YP marks contained herein trademarks... ; your family with Compassion & amp ; Dignity United States E-mail lakeviewmemorial... The caring funeral directors Website 44 years in business ( 662 ) 334-6153 609 S Broadway St 5. Became a very tough endeavor for two aging ladies to manage alone to lose a loved and. Assist our families of your family, use free funeral planning tools to plan out the best for! That rapport ( with people ) went into business, '' jefferson said he his... Number ( 662 ) 263 trademarks of YP LLC and/or YP affiliated companies +1 601 6293500 operations to,... Clarie C. Harvey had no children, '' jefferson said he enjoys work... Berry and Gardner operations there for them James jefferson Jr., who now manages the company been. The funeral Home funeral directors Website 44 years in business ( 662 ) 263 St Feb 5, 2023,. Set the groundwork and the base from which I came from, and his sister Annette! Byas funeral Home in Hernando, MS the special needs of each.. 'S father was on the Vicksburg Warren school District Board and on the court house in,... 10 years serving as cemetery Technician and Rolling Stock Manager - helps you find right... Are the property of their respective owners and her husband Palmer serves as a Board Advisor & ;... And all other YP marks contained herein are the property of their respective owners attend school further! Court house in Livingston, Ala view upcoming funeral services that meet the needs of family...

Shaoxing Multi Purpose Hall, Ww 2 Horse Trailer For Sale, Fotos De La Muerte De Jenay, Fal 10 Round Magazine, Articles B

black funeral homes in mississippi