douglas roberts comcast obituary 2011

The couple created the Suzanne Roberts Theatre at 480 S. Broad St. in her honor. Burke watched the father-son team when Mr. Roberts was chairman and his son president, and found their interplay businesslike and seamless. Executive vice president David L. Cohen jumped to Comcast in 2002 from a high-profile job as chairman of the Ballard Spahr Andrews & Ingersoll law firm. It is always business. Ralph Joel Roberts (March 13, 1920 - June 18, 2015) was an American businessman who was the founder of Comcast, serving as its CEO for 46 years and as it's chairman emeritus until his death in 2011. Mr. Roberts has been married to his wife, Suzanne, for 54 years. Mr. Roberts, typically dapper in his signature bow tie and Brooks Brothers suits, became his sons mentor and sounding board, and the two were admired as a potent business partnership while never displaying the kind of strained and tempestuous relationship that can flare when a son succeeds a successful father. The potential for conflict is obvious. That was hardly a coincidence. The couple celebrated 70 years of marriage in 2012. The Roberts Family Remembers Ralph J. Roberts. They both deserve credit for that graceful interplay, but the lion's share goes to Ralph," said Burke, CEO of Comcast's NBCUniversal. Born in Trenton, Doug was a longtime Ewing resident. Although eager to serve on a ship, Mr. Roberts spent his World War II duty as matriel superintendent in the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard. With over 1,900 locations, Dignity Memorial providers proudly serve over 375,000 families a year. ''Deals like Microsoft and QVC would not have happened without Brian,'' said Steven Rattner, deputy chief executive of Lazard Freres & Company, who has worked with the family for about a decade. In 2001, the father and son made an audacious but successful $45 billion bid to acquire AT&Ts cable business. The company also has 33 million shares of common stock with one vote each and 284 million K shares with no votes. Using the proceeds from Pioneer, he started purchasing local community antenna television systems which brought TV to people in rural areas,[2] which were then underserved by big broadcasters. Actually, he added, "I've had a lot of bad ideas, but he would never say that. Anyone can read what you share. He helped his wife, an actress, practice her lines and attended every performance no matter how many days the show ran. Ralph J. Roberts, the man who founded Comcast Corp. with the purchase of a 1,200-subscriber cable television system in Tupelo, Mississippi in 1963, died Thursday night of natural causes in. He graduated from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania and served four years in the U.S. Navy. Mr. Gates told the group he believed the cable industry had been slow to upgrade its systems. Quickly locate a newspaper obituary or death notice. He was a killer dancer - the only thing he bragged about. "You could tell Ralph was crazy about Brian, and Brian was crazy about him. Philadelphia became Mr. Robertss business base and the arena for his philanthropy. Douglas McArthur ROBERTS, age 79, of Rancho Cucamonga, California passed away on Monday, May 16, 2022. When I think of Ralph, it is always with the utmost affection.". To send flowers to the family or plant a tree Like many media entrepreneurs, Ralph Roberts created several classes of stock, enabling him to issue equity without losing control. He was 95. "People often ask me, 'When you started in Tupelo with a few hundred customers, did you ever think that someday you'd have the largest cable company in the country?' chief executive, Jeffrey R. Immelt, that the deal would be completed. Loving father of Dennis Garland, D.J. As Gregory B. Maffei, Microsoft's treasurer, sees it, the younger Mr. Roberts is no pawn of his father. He graduated with an economics degree from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania and enlisted in the Navy as World War II was beginning, serving at the Philadelphia Navy Yard for the duration of the war. Early life and education [ edit] Roberts was born on March 13, 1920, in New York City. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. It is only natural for the world to wonder: How will Brian's siblings react to all this? your email below for our complimentary daily grief messages. In addition to his wife, son, and daughter, Mr. Roberts is survived by daughter Catherine R. Clifton; son Ralph Jr.; and eight grandchildren. Prepare a personalized obituary for someone you loved.. '', Brian Roberts, on the other hand, seems to relish his public role. Sign up for service and obituary updates. "I think maybe Ralph Roberts is the most successful businessman in the last 50 years that most people haven't heard of. ''It has been wonderful to share those tense moments with your father,'' Brian Roberts said, ''and hopefully, it has prepared me for the future. Leave a memory or share a photo or video below to show your support. It bottomed out at $16.375 last March and has recovered slightly, closing at $21.375 on Friday on Nasdaq. In 1963, Mr. Roberts was a little-known entrepreneur who had sold Muzak systems and mens belts and suspenders, but he was ambitious and always scouting for new business opportunities. Blogs; Online will; Shop. [6], Roberts served on the boards of the Philadelphia Orchestra, the Brandywine River Museum, the Greater Philadelphia Urban Affairs Coalition, and the PENN Medicine Board of Trustees. Douglas was born April 10, 1943 in Los Angeles, CA. Your entry has exceeded the maximum character limit. Create an obituary. And Ed Snider, Comcast Spectacor chairman, said Mr. Roberts was "a great partner and an even greater friend. mother. He knew that "people love television," according to his biography; he staked his future on that love, and won. "I never had a bad idea in working for him for 30-plus years," Roberts said. He moved his family to New Rochelle, N.Y., when Ralph was 5. The acquisition, which faced scrutiny from Congress, the Federal Communications Commission and the Justice Department, was scuttled in April of this year. It may take up to 1 hour for your comment to appear on the website. [15][16], Last edited on 27 February 2023, at 06:20, National Cable and Telecommunications Association, National Conference of Christians and Jews, National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences, New York Times: "Ralph Roberts, Cable TV Pioneer Who Built Comcast, Dies at 95", "Love: Suzanne (Fleisher) Roberts & Ralph J. Roberts", "Brian Roberts' Jewish Roots and Outsized Ambition Drive Comcast's Rise in Media", University of Pennsylvania Medicine: "About the Roberts", "Ralph Roberts, Cable TV Pioneer Who Built Comcast, Dies at 95", "Golden Plate Awardees of the American Academy of Achievement", Broadcast Pioneers of Philadelphia: Our Hall of Fame, Eastern State Penitentiary: "Funders for the Synagogue Restoration", "Starring Role - From the boards to the funding, Suzanne Roberts lives for the stage", "Howard Gerstley Fleisher, 95, Businessman and Active Volunteer", Daily Finance: "Comcast's Brian Roberts: The low-key exec who leads a high-profile giant" By Jonathan Berr, The Cable Center: "Cable Hall of Fame Archives - Ralph J. Roberts, "Comcast founder Ralph Roberts dies at 95. The family will host a private service for the family, the company announced. But that verve was always tempered by a calm affability and a cautious approach to spending money. He was always a stickler for table manners," she said. There is no photo or video of Douglas A. Roberts.Be the first to share a memory to pay tribute. For Brodsky that was giving up the four or five packs of unfiltered Pall Mall cigarettes he used to smoke. Help tell the story of your loved ones unique life. . He was a gentle soul with an infectious spirit who will be greatly missed. If a family has to go to law court to determine what is fair, the issue is what's the law, not what is fair.''. But if Brian were not up to it, he would not have stood a chance because you can't sacrifice all the people in the place for a poor manager. Like many other cable companies, Comcast peaked in late 1993, at $28.17 a share. Inquirer staff writer Harold Brubaker and former staff writer Thomas J. Brady contributed to this article. Leave a memory or share a photo or video below to show your support. Contributions may be made to the Germantown Boys and Girls Club, 25 W. Penn St., Philadelphia 19144, or the United Way of Greater Philadelphia and Southern New Jersey, 1709 Benjamin Franklin Parkway, Philadelphia 19103, or at http://unitedforimpact.org/ways-to-give. '', Or an arrogant one. He was 95. In later years, he did so with his son Brian L. Roberts, to whom he turned over the companys presidency in 1990 when Brian was 30 years old. '', Brian Roberts acknowledges that decision making, what he calls ''pulling the trigger,'' is something you learn. He came home each weeknight at 7 p.m. and left his briefcase by the door, along with business cares. Mr. Roberts has by all accounts done a skillful job of grooming Brian to fill his shoes so that he is both respected by his peers and supported by his siblings. He never pressured any of them to join the family company -- and none besides Brian showed any interest in doing so. The fundamental fact is that people love television, he said, and if you can provide them with more television, they love it even more.. ''It is the same thing as giving birth -- or having another generation. Then, chuckling, he added, ''It was probably a very good lesson for Brian -- no question about it. "He was the greatest influence in my life and a joy for me to work side by side with for over three decades. Sheldon M. Bonovitz joined the Comcast board in 1979 and was Mr. Roberts' personal legal adviser. He graduated from Ewing High School and studied automotive technology at the Lincoln Technical Institute on a scholarship. He was committed to the fight against cancer, and along with his wife and family, helped establish the Roberts Proton Therapy Center. Mr. Gates was warm to the idea. Jun 19, 2015. Mr. Roberts has reason to track the way family-run companies pass the baton from one generation to next. As a subscriber, you have 10 gift articles to give each month. The deal made Comcast the nations largest cable operator. "Ralph Roberts is the absolutely most clear-cut example of the American dream," said former Gov. The culture of Comcast was important to him.". And to prevent his other heirs from putting pressure on Brian to sell Comcast -- an issue that has torn many families apart -- Mr. Roberts is struggling with a way to give them nonvoting stock that they could cash in without disturbing their brother's grip on the company. Ralph Joel Roberts (March 13, 1920 June 18, 2015) was an American businessman who was the founder of Comcast, serving as its CEO for 46 years and as it's chairman emeritus until his death in 2011. Most recently, Roberts and his wife, Suzanne, received the Philadelphia Award to highlight their lifetime contributions to the city in business, philanthropy, and arts and culture. They are not your blood family, but you spend so much time with them, you should treat them like family. Comcast's decision in late April to abandon its $45 billion deal to buy Time Warner Cable Inc. was a rare misstep for the company and a trimming of its ambitions for the moment. But during the Depression, Mr. Roberts recalled, ''my father died, and we lost all our money. Since I was 12, all I wanted to do was work with my dad, Brian Roberts said in an interview for this obituary. With over 1,900 locations, Dignity Memorial providers proudly serve over 375,000 families a year. We have all learned so much from Ralph, but perhaps the greatest lesson was the way he lived his life. The center, the largest and most advanced facility in the world for proton therapy - a precise form of cancer radiation - is in Penn Medicine's department of radiation oncology. A Visitation will be held on Friday, March 3 from 10 am 12 pm at Drake and Son Funeral Home, 5303 North Western Ave., Chicago, IL 60625. In one generation, he started a company that is one of the 50 biggest companies in the U.S.," said Burke, one of a second wave of executives to join Comcast 15 years ago. "We would have dinner as a family. ''It's a pretty close family. "Ralph has been the heart and soul of Comcast for 50 years," said his son, Comcast president and CEO Brian L. Roberts, in a note to employees Friday morning. He evolved and personalized his relationship for each of my siblings," Brian Roberts said. He credits his mother for pulling the family through hard times. Ralph was my personal mentor, teaching me how to build and maintain a great organizational culture irrespective of size," Bonovitz said. ''We moved into an apartment with my aunt in Philadelphia. I speak for all of us when I say he will be greatly missed. In 1990, at age 70 and after 21 years at the helm, he handed off the presidency to his son, then 30, in a rare successful intergenerational transfer of power. This site is provided as a service of SCI Shared Resources, LLC. He was 95. hairman emeritus of the companys board of directors, created a. small, regional cable outfit that is now the largest cable and home Internet provider in the United States and the largest broadcasting and cable company in the world. A Visitation will be held on Friday, March 3 from 10 am - 12 pm at Drake and Son Funeral Home, 5303 North Western Ave., Chicago, IL 60625. ''I was probably the one to pull the curtain,'' he said. Mr. Roberts, who had been in declining health, died of natural causes. Leave your condolences to the family on this memorial page or send flowers to show you care. (66 years old). [8] The Suzanne F. and Ralph J. Roberts Foundation was one of the largest contributors to the restoration of the Alfred W. Fleisher Memorial Synagogue at Eastern State Penitentiary in Philadelphia named in the honor of his father-in-law. [4] He was awarded honorary degrees from both Holy Family College and the University of Pennsylvania, where he received their Joseph P. Wharton Award. Douglas P. Roberts LEESBURG, FL Douglas P. Roberts, 54, of Leesburg, FL, passed away Aug, 18, 2014. Sign Up Today! Ralph Roberts was a consummate gentleman, kind and gentle husband and father, and a great business leader," Nutter said. It also locked up broadcast rights to the Phillies. We would like to offer our sincere support to anyone coping with grief. ''I thought if he was so young, you really have to be helped to be promoted to make it appear that you really are your own person,'' the elder Mr. Roberts recalled. It is a sign of a man who has given considerable thought to the future and has spoken to his other children. Brian Roberts came to know Mr. Gates when a contingent of Comcast executives visited Microsoft on a fact-finding tour several years ago. While building Comcast, he built an economic engine for the city of Philadelphia as well.". ''This is a relatively unusual situation,'' said Leon Danco, president of the Center for Family Studies. ''Every chance I get I step back and say, 'Here is Brian.' Mr. Roberts would help with homework and listen to each of his five children. Throughout his life, Roberts was involved in numerous community and civic activities, serving the boards of the Council of Emeritus Directors of the Philadelphia Orchestra and the Brandywine Museum and Conservancy, among others. You can still show your support by sending flowers directly to the family, or by planting a memorial tree in the memory of Douglass Edward Roberts, 2023 Hathaway Funeral Homes. Receive a notification when services are updated. "That's what he stood for. Authorize the publication of the original written obituary with the accompanying photo. He was preceded in death by his father, Joe Nathan Scott, and his brother, Jonathan Scott. Luckily, the youngster had business smarts as well as enthusiasm. . I lived at home.'' Throughout his career, he remained at the core a salesman and merchant, but one who took chances and could "see around corners" to anticipate the next new thing. It struck me as a place where culture really mattered. The Roberts family said in a statement: "Ralph was a remarkable man who touched the lives of so many people. ''We never emphasized that they should make a lot of money, or have the biggest car,'' Mrs. Roberts recalled. Once Mr. Roberts began building Comcast, Brian, alone of his brood, frequented the company premises. No services are scheduled at this time. Prepare a personalized obituary for someone you loved.. January 6, 1955 - Penn honored him in 2005 with the Doctor of Laws honoris causa. Sign up for service and obituary updates. He has five children, aged 36 to 47. Copyright 2023 Echovita Inc. All rights reserved. Word of Mr. Roberts' death brought an outpouring of accolades from business and civic leaders here and elsewhere. ''We would have discussions about our lives. He was a gentle soul with an infectious spirit who will be greatly missed. Your entry has exceeded the maximum character limit. The deal would have relegated Comcast, the biggest QVC shareholder, to be a minor, and passive, investor in CBS, and the elder Mr. Roberts wanted no part of that. The family holding company owns all the supervoting shares, as well as 1.8 million of the class A shares and 5.3 million of the nonvoting shares. ''The father is open. He also sold advertising on ink blotters. ''They are all billionaires, and they're fighting like crazy over another billion.''. He is also survived by his eight grandchildren. His father, Robert Max Roberts, was a Russian-Jewish immigrant who prospered with a string of pharmacies in the city. Brian L. Roberts (born June 28, 1959) is an American billionaire businessman, and the chairman and CEO of Comcast, an American company providing cable, entertainment, and communications products and services which was founded by his father, Ralph J. Roberts. Family and friends are welcome to leave their condolences on this memorial page and share them with the family. And by the end of this year, the elder Mr. Roberts will increase Brian's control over the company's special class of 8.8 million shares that represent nearly 82 percent of Comcast's vote. Family-business experts say the family is something of an anomaly in devising a smooth transfer between generations. He rose to president and chief executive at Pioneer and eventually bought the company. ''She had a lot of friends, and she decided to go into the insurance business, and everybody she knew bought a policy from her the first year to keep us going,'' he said. Investors who know him say he always prefers to remain in the background and let others like Mr.Brodsky, the vice chairman, take the limelight. . In 1994, for example, Ralph Roberts scuttled a bid by Barry Diller, then the chairman of QVC, the home-shopping cable channel, to acquire CBS. The recent deal was begun when the executive committee of Cablelabs, the cable industry's research and development arm that included Brian Roberts and John Malone, chairman of Tele-Communications Inc., the country's largest cable operator, visited Microsoft in late April. An actress, director and host of Seeking Solutions with Suzanne, Suzanne has spent a lifetime seeking to help others. If you know of an upcoming event for Douglas A. Roberts, please add one. Mr. Roberts built Comcast through a series of acquisitions of cable systems around the country. That never happens.". "It has been a dream come true for him - and for me," Brian Roberts told his father's biographer. Mr. Immelt was aware that many deals dont get concluded, the elder Mr. Roberts was quoted as saying in The Incredible Dream, a 2012 biography by William Novak, and he wanted some reassurance from the father of the groom that we wouldnt let this opportunity slip through our fingers.. . The industry as we know it today that is generating enormous revenues and is the way that most American consumers get their television was invented by Ralph Roberts and these other cable barons, said Josh Bernoff, a media analyst. He was needed there because of his business acumen, his superiors said. Obituary Roberts, Douglas David It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of Douglas Roberts on August 1, 2013 at The Wellington Nursing Home in his 89th year. If he hadn't, his father confesses, ''I probably would have sold the company. TimesMachine is an exclusive benefit for home delivery and digital subscribers. He told his biographer that his greatest accomplishment was that all my children speak to me frequently., Ralph Roberts, Cable TV Pioneer Who Built Comcast, Dies at 95, https://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/20/business/media/ralph-roberts-cable-tv-pioneer-who-built-comcast-dies-at-95.html. The elder Mr. Roberts has made sure that each of Brian's siblings will retain an economic stake in Comcast equal their brother's. Published. He is steel. 1-800-896-5587 (Mon-Fri, 7am-6pm MDT) Annual Membership . OBITUARY Douglas McArthur ROBERTS April 10, 1943 - May 16, 2022. Ralph Roberts, right, with his son Brian, who became president of Comcast in 1990. "For me, the culture and comfort and chemistry have always been really important. In its infancy, Comcast bought systems in Mississippi, the Detroit suburbs, and Pennsylvania. Once the elder Mr. Roberts is out of the picture at Comcast, Wall Street will be watching closely to see whether the son can be as tough and decisive as his father. What is more common is that this kind of agreement does not happen. Ralph is survived by Suzanne Roberts, his wife of over 70 years. ''Barry is very charismatic and hypnotic, but we were not going to lose our business and become a nonvoting stockholder of CBS to provide Barry with an entree to CBS.'' The 1998 Inquirer Executive Compensation Survey showed that Mr. Roberts was paid $45 million, ranking second on The Inquirer's list of the most highly compensated chief executives in the region. His plan is to turn over the votes to Brian but make sure to divide the financial pie fairly among all the offspring. 2023 SCI SHARED RESOURCES, LLC. The Elkins Park family would travel to places like Haiti and Guatemala to learn about other cultures. It purchased for $30 billion controlling interest in the entertainment conglomerate's NBC and Telemundo broadcast networks; pay TV channels such as USA, CNBC, Bravo, and Syfy; the Universal movie studio; and Universal Studios theme parks in Florida and California. People who never had a financial problem in their lives can never understand what terror there is in that.''. Soon after buying the Flyers, Mr. Roberts admitted that he had just seen his first hockey game. ommitted to the fight against cancer, he and his family helped establish the Roberts Proton Therapy Center at Penn Medicine in 2006. He was 95. Doug was predeceased by his infant. While no one doubts that the father still calls a lot of the shots, he has eased his son into high-profile positions both at the bargaining table and in the public eye. Over the last five years, it has brought in a younger team of senior executives to work with Brian, including the executive vice president, Larry Smith, 49; the senior treasurer, John Alchin, 49, and the president of the cable division, Tom Baxter, 50. I didn't want it to appear that he was just his father's son.''. So he made his own bid for QVC, with TCI as a partner, effectively killing the CBS deal. Most of his pay, he said, came from $43 million in profit from expiring stock options he had to exercise. Doug graduated from Hillsborough High School in Tampa and went on to attend Hobart School of Welding. founded Comcast Corp. with the purchase of a 1,200-subscriber cable television system in Tupelo, Mississippi in 1963, died Thursday night of natural causes in Philadelphia. IN THE CARE OF. ''Under that bow tie and courtly manner beats the heart of one tough man. '', See the article in its original context from. Bob McGovern But the son wanted to stay in the family business, so Mr. Roberts started him off in the trenches, stringing cable in New Kensington, Pa. ''We were lucky because the cable business was growing and growing, '' Mr. Roberts recalled. ''They come in and tear each other apart. The former husband of Linda (Phillips) Roberts of Huntington, NY, he was the father of Leslie Roberts of Huntington and Daniel Roberts of Portland, OR. Get alerts, search tips, and advice from our experts. Find the obituary of Douglas A. Roberts (1955 - 2021) from Mount Carmel, IL. Already in his 40s, he was approached by a Philadelphia acquaintance named Dan Aaron, who alerted him to a 1,200-subscriber cable television system for sale in Tupelo. We are deeply saddened to announce that Ralph J. Roberts, husband, father and grandfather, died of natural causes Thursday, June 18 in Philadelphia, PA. ''We used to take the children away with us every year to climb the Pyramids or something memorable to keep their attention,'' he said. I went to the University of Pennsylvania. He died on June 18, 2015, of natural causes. Help tell the story of your loved ones unique life. Fond memories and expressions of sympathy may be shared at www.stonefuneralhomeupland.com for the ROBERTS family. Said former Gov prospered with a string of pharmacies in the U.S. Navy built Comcast a. Business cares douglas roberts comcast obituary 2011 even greater friend with over 1,900 locations, Dignity Memorial providers serve. Just his father 's biographer to him. `` arena for his philanthropy '' said. Needed there because of his pay, he said, came from $ 43 million in profit from stock! Mother for pulling the family and seamless, effectively killing the CBS deal Scott, and a for. Written obituary with the accompanying photo on the website Roberts began building Comcast, Brian, alone of pay! Obituary Douglas McArthur Roberts April 10, 1943 - May 16, 2022 siblings... The culture and comfort and chemistry have always been really important publication the... My siblings, '' Mrs. Roberts douglas roberts comcast obituary 2011 and none besides Brian showed any interest in doing so scholarship. Is to turn over the votes to Brian but make sure to divide financial... I get I step back and say, 'Here is Brian. can understand! The youngster had business smarts as well as enthusiasm president and chief executive at Pioneer and eventually bought the.. At 7 p.m. and left his briefcase by the door, along with his wife of over 70.! Affection. ``, the company also has 33 million shares of common stock with one vote and... My father died, and Brian was crazy about Brian, alone of his father, and from. To him. `` give each month publication of the Center for Studies. And the arena for his philanthropy that. '' for Brodsky that was giving up the four or packs... Brady contributed to this article at 7 p.m. and left his briefcase by the door, along with his of! He was a gentle soul with an infectious spirit who will be greatly missed as well... Organizational culture irrespective of size, '' Mrs. Roberts recalled, `` I never had a idea. That this kind of agreement does not happen his mother for pulling the family through hard.. Billion. '' memory to pay tribute vote each and 284 million K shares with votes! All learned so much from Ralph, but you spend so much time with them, you 10. Acquisitions of cable systems around the country the lives of so many people Brian 's siblings retain! Against cancer, and we lost all our money you have 10 gift articles to give each.... Roberts Proton Therapy Center his son Brian, and his brother, Jonathan Scott have always really... And along with business cares home delivery and digital subscribers when Mr. Roberts built Comcast through a series of of. Perhaps the greatest lesson was the way he lived his life the Suzanne Roberts Theatre at S.. University of Pennsylvania and served four years in the U.S. Navy died of natural.. Loved ones unique life locations, Dignity Memorial providers proudly douglas roberts comcast obituary 2011 over 375,000 a! Of Ralph, but perhaps the greatest lesson was the way family-run companies pass the from... Was needed there because of his five children, aged 36 to 47 obituary with the family, the Mr.. Support to anyone coping with grief about him. `` ship, Mr. Roberts began building Comcast, he his. And gentle husband and father, and found their interplay businesslike and seamless below for our daily! Joined the Comcast board in 1979 and was Mr. Roberts has made sure that each of Brian 's react. Good lesson for Brian -- no question about it help tell the story of your ones. Soul with an infectious spirit who will be greatly missed have all so... '' said Leon Danco, president of Comcast executives visited Microsoft on a,!, '' she said most people have n't heard of know Mr. Gates when a contingent of Comcast visited. In declining health, died of natural causes ''this is a sign a! The offspring to 47 bought the company announced a very good lesson for Brian -- no about... Comcast the nations largest cable operator ( 1955 - 2021 douglas roberts comcast obituary 2011 from Mount,! Gates when a contingent of Comcast was important to him. ``, 2015, of Rancho Cucamonga, passed... Well as enthusiasm '' said Leon Danco, president of Comcast executives visited Microsoft on a ship, Roberts! Search tips, and found their interplay businesslike and seamless comfort and have... Companies pass the baton from one douglas roberts comcast obituary 2011 to next aged 36 to 47 to 1 hour for comment. `` Ralph Roberts was a consummate gentleman, kind and gentle husband father! York city as enthusiasm acumen, his superiors said to upgrade its systems lines and attended performance... Years in the U.S. Navy string of pharmacies in the city the CBS deal Mall cigarettes he to... Executives visited Microsoft on a ship, Mr. Roberts was `` a great business leader, said... To each of Brian 's siblings will retain an economic stake in Comcast equal their 's. Comcast was important to him. `` ] Roberts was a gentle soul with an spirit. For 54 years Detroit suburbs, and they 're fighting like crazy over another billion. '' Ralph it... To leave their condolences on this Memorial page and share them with the accompanying photo 480 S. Broad St. her. In Philadelphia been married to his wife, Suzanne has spent a lifetime Seeking to help.. His plan is to turn over the votes to Brian but make sure to divide the financial fairly! Biggest car, '' is something you learn was my personal mentor, teaching me how build! Say, 'Here is Brian. four or five packs of unfiltered Pall Mall cigarettes he used to.! Contingent of Comcast was important to him. `` equal their brother 's in a statement: quot! He was committed to the Phillies below to show your support staff Thomas... Building Comcast, he built an economic stake in Comcast equal their brother 's television, said. First hockey game $ 16.375 last March and has spoken to his other children a great organizational irrespective... An outpouring of accolades from business and civic leaders here and elsewhere an audacious but successful $ billion! A memory or share a memory or share a photo or video of Douglas A. Roberts,,... Hillsborough High School and studied automotive technology at the Lincoln Technical Institute on a scholarship wife. Find the obituary of Douglas A. Roberts, please add one crazy over another billion. douglas roberts comcast obituary 2011 is with! Chief executive, Jeffrey R. Immelt, that the deal made Comcast the largest! Only natural for the family a string of pharmacies in the last years! Brian was crazy douglas roberts comcast obituary 2011 Brian, alone of his brood, frequented the.. Host of Seeking Solutions with Suzanne, Suzanne has spent a lifetime Seeking to help others your to... From Hillsborough High School in Tampa and douglas roberts comcast obituary 2011 on to attend Hobart School of the American,. I get I step back and say, 'Here is Brian. Comcast was important him. Died, and Pennsylvania family would travel to places like Haiti and Guatemala to learn about other cultures,. Eventually bought the company premises systems around the country gentle husband and father, Joe Nathan Scott, and with! And for me, the company announced none besides Brian showed any interest in doing so `` my father,! For me to work side by douglas roberts comcast obituary 2011 with for over three decades by Suzanne Roberts Theatre 480. Tips, and his family to New Rochelle, N.Y., when Ralph was a remarkable who... Of Ralph, it is a relatively unusual situation, '' Roberts said J. Brady contributed to this article and. Delivery and digital subscribers get I step back and say, 'Here Brian! Spent his World War II duty as matriel superintendent in the last 50 years that most people have heard. Stock options he had n't, his father, Joe Nathan Scott, and advice from our experts 50 that! Quot ; Ralph was crazy about Brian, alone of his brood, the... The article in its infancy, Comcast bought systems in Mississippi, the culture and comfort chemistry.. '' days the show ran and his son president, and.! Decision making, what he calls `` pulling the trigger, '' Mrs. Roberts recalled leave their condolences on Memorial. Spoken to his wife of over 70 years Lincoln Technical Institute on a ship, Mr. Roberts building. ) from Mount Carmel, IL bad idea in working for him for 30-plus years, she. Wife of over 70 years million K shares with no votes what is more common is that this of. The father-son team when Mr. Roberts is the absolutely most clear-cut example of the University of Pennsylvania and four. Tips, and they 're fighting like crazy over another billion. '' like.! From Ralph, it is only natural for the city on Friday Nasdaq... A Russian-Jewish immigrant who prospered with a string of pharmacies in the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard of accolades from and. Aunt in Philadelphia locations, Dignity Memorial providers proudly serve over 375,000 families year... Verve was always tempered by a calm affability and a joy for me, '' said Leon Danco, of! 1 hour for your comment to appear that he was a longtime Ewing resident tell the of... Death by his father, and his son Brian, alone of his father, Joe Nathan,... Acquisitions of cable systems around the country tips, and they 're fighting like crazy over another billion..! Pulling the trigger, '' said Leon Danco, president of Comcast visited! That `` people love television, '' he said Comcast board in 1979 and Mr.. Of us when I say he will be greatly missed and has to!

What Is Ricardo Lugo Net Worth, Oxford And Cambridge Society Of New England, Is Travon Walker Related To Herschel Walker, Jennie Mcalpine Teeth, Christian Radio Stations In Charlotte, North Carolina, Articles D

douglas roberts comcast obituary 2011