kawasaki prairie 650 running rough

Step 1 Use the electric starter. Welcome to Off-Roading Pro. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Mostly, a faulty plug turns out to be the main culprit. An added benefit: This ATV has a full Factory Kawasaki Warranty until June 2016 !!! I am a rookie at this and thought because it had a choke it wouldn't have a priming pump. My prairie 650 is having some problems! The Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo. Now that you have known the common problems with Kawasaki Prairie 360, its time to know the general pros and cons of this ATV. Join QUADCRAZY ATV Forum today for FREE! I was thinking about the ignition, could the igniter box or control unit be bad? Ensure that you are using only NGK CR7E or DENSO U22ESR-N spark plugs, as stipulated by Kawasaki. Despite not having a V-Twin engine like its bigger-displacement sibling, this multi-purpose wheeler is one heck of a workhorse and an incredibly fun trail tamer. To shorten the gap, gently push the spark plug against a firm surface. With the Kawasaki Prairie 360, Team Green offered the capabilities of its more-popular flagship ATVs in a compact, mid-sized quad worth half the price. Therefore, flimsy parts or factory-assembly flaws are not always responsible for wear and tear. Subscribe to OL+ for our best feature stories and photography. An oil-bathed, sealed rear disc brake and a variable limited-slip front differential paired with selectable 2WD/4WD these are just some of the industry firsts that the Kawasaki Prairie 650 introduced to the market. CROSS THEM OVER TO HARLEY DAVIDSON. But compared to the above challenges, this is minor. OffRoadingPro.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. I have problems with it running like crap such as delayed moving when pushing the throttle, backfires, running rough. This mean machine, launched in 2002, dominated the off-roading scene and introduced many firsts to the public defining the sport-utility sub-segment in the process. But it can be fixed if you know what you. The purpose of building the Prairie 360 is to offer the features of the flagship ATV in a smaller form and make it available at half of the original price. Unlike the bigger-displacement siblings, it may not have a V-Twin engine. At the very least, cleaning and lubricating the choke plungers (or replacing them when needed) is a must. Monitor idling time and low-speed driving if the Prairie 650 is overheating, as too much time in either state can cause the quad to overheat. I'm a rookie at this and took it on as a project and could use any help possible! To make it larger, use a spark plug gap tool to pull the hook out wider. KawieRiders.com is the largest Kawasaki ATV owner's forum with information for the Kawasaki KFX700, Brute Force, Prairie, Bayou, Mojave, Lakota and older model Kawasaki ATV's! Resolving this issue is pretty straightforward yet tricky at the same. Moreover, the huge frame of the Prairie 360 makes it wonky. We guess this buyer is not satisfied with the replacement part as he said , Well, I got the rebuild kit and installed it and it runs perfectly now. However, these are minor challenges compared to the ones mentioned above. Eventually, the absence of a V-Twin engine did not matter, and riders appreciated the 44 for what it had to offer. All in all, this highly-acclaimed trail beast is a dream to ride. we can continue on for 20 mins or so before it happens again. it isnt normal, and that is alot of cash to put out, i dont blame you for being upset you dont get nuthin if you dont bi*** for it !! I'm having precisely the same problem you are! It was one of the most successful off-road vehicles of its time, earning the Design and Engineering Award inPopular Mechanicsand being highly regarded by ATV magazines and publications. Well-received by professional reviewers on rankings website ATV Rider Online, the 650cc version performed best on grassy tracks and steep trails. Kawasaki first released 4WD trims, followed by 2WD versions later within the same year. Your email address will not be published. I have the exact same atv and I know if mine has been sitting a while I can crank forever and it won't start until I give the primer a few pumps. When encountering this problem, some owners remove the K-EBC actuator/fork and learn to live without the said function. When possible, Off-Roading Pro uses affiliate links. Each can be ordered through your Kawasaki dealer. The cdi seems to be the next step especially since no one on this website seems to be interested in making any suggestions. Another stabilizing asset is the Rubicons increased length and width when compared to other ATVs in the Foreman series. :mad:Says he has had many calls on this. #Kawasakiprairie360 #limpmode#belt #issue#Beatcore & Ashley Apollodor - Just Stay [NCS Release] Required fields are marked *. November 29, 2013 in Kawasaki ATV Forum, Have a 2002 Kawasaki 650 Prairie.Have just had carbs rebuilt($950 bill) & it still pops back through carbs.Mostly at 1/4-1/2 throttle.What can I tell mechanic to do when I take it back? Just $1 per month . I have a few KAWIs. Others choose to remove the 2WD/4WD actuator, modifying it to have a choke cable setup to run manually. Every great product has some problems, no matter how good it is. PRAIRIE 650 4X4, Only 1962 miles! Repairing some of the parts wont prove any convenient. The Prairie 650 4x4 rides on MacPherson strut front suspension and features an aluminum rear swingarm with adjustable spring. Operate the starter. Wholesale ATV buys directly from the manufacturer, we cut out the middle man. Although later versions of Kawasaki's Prairie ATV were still available as of January 2011, a more powerful 650cc version of the quad was only released in 2002 and 2003. Anyone else heard of needing to shut the gas switch off or having problems like this? This means that the gears needed to be shifted swiftly and deliberately to get them to move into the next gear. Model Paste as plain text instead, The MSRP of the Kawasaki Prairie 360 ranged from $4,599 to $6,499 and did not move for several years for the KVF360B trims, at least. Make sure those screens are clear and fuel flows freely from the valve at the bottom of the tank. Adjustable footpegs atop full footboards make long trail rides enjoyable. No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc. The machine also offers selectable 2WD/4WD driveline modes actuated via a thumb switch and on-the-fly front differential lock that improves handling on slippery surfaces and in tight corners or thick mud. Does anyone have a good picture of how the carb hooks up? (877-529-4288), Keep your brews chilled all day long with one of these top portable packs. This design helps to reduce the engines weight and height, thus lowering the vehicles center of gravity for better stability and handling. This powerplant retards the vehicles ignition until it reaches a certain RPM, leading to a difficult engine startup particularly on a cold February morning. Although the Kawasaki Prairie 360 represents a lot of its larger siblings, it also shows its own aesthetics and performance. You may have to take your ATV to an experienced mechanic or to another owner to get this. Any help would be appreciated! It now starts and idles good. Where would it be located? The cooling fans can get overheated, which can lead to a lot of potential problems. This ATV has a towing capacity of 1,250 pounds and an intimidating 65 mph top-end speed. Unlike Team Greens 300-class four-wheelers, the Prairie 650 did not fall short on instrumentation. this is afterburn. Step 3 NEW WHEELS AND TIRES, ONLY 1,962 MILES!! The Prairie left the Brute Force lineup to carry on the slightly smaller engine displacement for a little while as the said series eventually released the Kawasaki Brute Force 750 4x4i five years after. When you look from the manufacturers view, you may find it logical. Another symptom of this problem is when you get measurements indicating specs from the OHM readings while getting different sets of results from the speed sensor. I drove it today and it runs fine up till about 1/2 throttle and then starts bogging and backfiring. All these can be bought for an affordable price. That could explain the lack of oil pressure. I have checked the belt switch and the reverse switch both seem fine. Most of these complained parts can be replaced with aftermarket equivalents, ignition timing adjustment, or proper jetting. Both cams. This is a really easy fix. So then it's just step by step on. But for more persistent challenges, you need to visit forums and other Kawie community sites to get specifics on how to resolve them. Hey all..I did a search and didn't find anything hereI have a 2004 Prairie 700. Contact Information - Kawasaki Motors Corp USA Consumer Services Department is also available at (866) 802-9381. Kawasaki ATV Performance / Maintenance / Technical, 05 kfx-- 6* key-- Crossover's-- Main jets drilled 3/32-- #42 pilot-- 12 hole mod.-- Twin air with cage-- 650 stack's-- polished slides-- 1 shim per side-- LTE ceramic coated dual's.-- Dalton clutch cover-- IMS Tank-- DG frount bumper & rear grab bar-- Tusk nerfs-- leds in frount grill-- American star raceing tie rods & ends-- plug wire mod.--ODI grips-- One of Jesse's +4 extinsion's-- Big Kev's 730 kit with stage 3 cam's--Sponcored by, Home of the proven fastest and quickest all motor Kawies in the world. However, tight wooded trails and rough terrain are not the most suitable for this big-bore machine. Let's ride! Undoubtedly, this uncanny resemblance between the two is why most consumers confuse one with the other. The Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo. We tried this on flat land and steep slopes and found that it works well. JavaScript is disabled. It's usually a combination of carbs out of sync adjustment And a leak in a vacuum, When you had the carbs rebuilt they may of not got the lines on rite or the are not sealing, The carbs also have to be in sync and drawing the same or it will also cause it to pop like that, If it was me I would find a mechanic that knows what they are doing on the v-twinn. So it went to the dealer for an exhaust valve adj. 2002 had recall on the air filter system too. Resale units are mostly 2002-2003 models vehicle conditions vary depending on the year, trim, and upkeep done by the previous owner. pilot jets get stopped up way too easily. You can post now and register later. Reinstall the battery. Polaris Scrambler 400 44 Specs and Review, 2017 Can Am Outlander 570 Top Speed, Specs, and Review, 2007 Polaris Sportsman 500 Specs and Review, Unleaded gasoline of at least Antiknock Index/PON 87 or RON 91, containing < 15% MTBE (Methyl Tertiary Butyl Ether)/TAME/ETBE, < 10% ethanol, or < 5% methanol w/ cosolvents & corrosion inhibitors, 13.5 L or 3.6 US gal (reserve: 3.8 L/1 US gal), 26.1 Nm (2.66 kgf-m, 19.2 ft-lb) @ 4,500 RPM, 45-55 mph (72.4-88.5 km/h) owners claim, Shaft drive, 2WD 4WD Belt converter, 29-31 mm, 48.474 9.859 (high); 75.619 15.380 (low); 63.016 12.817 (reverse), 10 BTDC @ 1,300 RPM 30 BTDC @ 5,000 RPM, NGK DPR8EA-9, 0.8-0.9 mm (0.031-0.035 in. Restart the engine and take the Prairie 650 to the shop if it still overheats. Veteran owners do not recommend jumping while in 4WD, as this also aggravates the leaking problem. (think i spelled it right)my 2003 prairie pops even after i cleaned the carbs,only thing i didnt replace was the diaphrams,popping is from the rear carb only,been researching and i bought new diaphrams will be replacing them soon.i also run gas treatments and highest octane i can find,helps a little. Kawasaki Prairie 650 So, they look for an ATV that comes with a powerful engine. Some, from the engine.some caused by myself. A Kawasaki dealer has specific training and tools that may help if troubleshooting fails or if serious repairs are necessary. Factoring in the cost, yes; most aftermarket/other brands would work as expected. Here are some of the machines more prevalent issues and their corresponding fixes: If the Kawasaki Prairie 650 quads had one major setback, that would be a specific functionality of its monstrous V-Twin engine. If it is gummy or watery, take the Prairie 650 to the shop to have the fuel tank drained, as this is an indication of fuel contamination. ALWAYS SERVICED AND GARAGED, RUNS GREAT! So I cleaned the filter changed the plug and cleaned the carb. Jul 5, 2014 Drop bowl on carb. SALE PENDING Super Nice Prairie 650 4x4 Low Miles, Only 1909 Miles Plow & Winch Rear Trunk Recently Serviced - Oil Change, Valve Adjustment, Recently Tuned Mudzilla Tires Owned by Kawasaki Mechanic, 2006 kawasaki parie 650 twin win the EBC option and the front diff locker new tires and exhaust and comes with a winch and a 5ft mini state plow never been beaten turn key and go only 514 hrs on it. OffRoadingPro.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. I have no spark in either cylinder Answered in 4 hours by: Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie Do you feel the aftermarket CDI box would be ok to use? Troubleshooting tips were included in the Prairie's manual to guide owners through this process. I have jetted it rich and lean and now have the original jets and needles with a washer under each and nothing has helped. However, note that the K-EBC is best as a supplemental braking system at low speeds (between 3-20 km/h) and does not work in reverse. The Prairie has the same suspension system as the Brute Force 650. Affiliate disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases from Amazon.com. The gear shift has a simple-to-use straight shift pattern. Model Teryx 750 FI 4x4 LE SGE. Then bam, today it did the same thing. Raw power, however, is not . does the cdi usually go completely out or can it give weak fire. I know this may sound stupid but did you try pumping the primer on the side of the carb. I'm at a loss. The fans do kick on and the radiators have been cleaned repeatedly. Basically, the solution to this dilemma is to double-check neither the speedometer nor the speed sensor is defective. It would also be wise to check other things like degraded valve gaskets, damaged driveshaft/axles, and oxidation on the shaft and other metal surfaces. On the Kawasaki Z1000, a few more owners noticed that doing "slow shifts" would start the gear problems. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Oil seal lips that are misshapen, discolored, or hardened indicate rubber deterioration and warrant immediate replacement. The Camouflage versions were the most expensive, followed by the 4WD ones. 1985 Honda ATC250ES with a big bore kit and 30" mamba's. Raw power, however, is not all the Prairie 650 is about; its also feature-heavy. I just think after paying $950 to someone it should run right.I trail ride & hunt,& my normal throttle is 1/4-1/2 & thats where the problem is. Already gifted with cool extras that are standard equipment, the Teryx LE SGE comes with custom graphics straight from the Kawasaki factory. A common solution to make the 4WD work is to either replace the broken actuator controller or fix the speed sensor. This brake system mates to a Kawasaki-exclusive Engine Brake Control system that electronically observes ground speed and uses engine compression to slow the quad down. No wonder it has inspired the creation of other iconic Kawasaki quads. bodatiouskid Check the coolant levels in the reserve tank, located between the Prairie 650's tires on its left side. 2 Answers. You drain the fuel, and remove the valve to get it out. However, the fans will work most of the time. Im not the kind to bi***.Thats why I was looking for phone #s to talk to someone higher up. 8.1K views 2 years ago So my 2002 Kawasaki prairie 650 4x4 is having fuel issues and I came down to the fuel pump. They repeatedly have the overheating lights come even riding on dry trails. Its smooth but monstrous power delivery, low-range torque, well-designed chassis, and other best-engineered mechanisms only prove why present-day off-road icons took inspiration from this big-bore machine. I can clean/rebuild sync prairie carbs with new kits for less than $200.00. Still same prob. First, depressurize the fuel system by allowing the ATV to cool down and removing the fuel cap. I cannot get my 4 wheeler to start. One other thing worth observing is the timing of the idling problem. The ones mentioned above fix the speed sensor is defective with it running like crap such as moving... System as the Brute Force 650 get this from Amazon.com looking for phone s... Tools that may help if troubleshooting fails or if serious repairs are necessary wheeler to start, proper! Owners remove the valve at the bottom of the time just step by step on firm surface resale are. In all, this highly-acclaimed trail beast is a must center of gravity for better kawasaki prairie 650 running rough and handling DENSO! The tank mad: Says he has had many calls on this website seems to be the main culprit purchases! 1985 Honda ATC250ES with a washer under each and nothing has helped be interested in making any.! Engine did not matter, and remove the 2WD/4WD actuator, modifying it to a... Tips were included in the Prairie 's manual to guide owners through this.. Replace the broken actuator controller or fix the speed sensor is defective parts! Plugs, as stipulated by Kawasaki many calls on this left side just step by step.! Same thing box or control unit be bad gas switch off or having problems this! Same problem you are the manufacturer, we may earn commissions from purchases! Mentioned above: Says he has had many calls on this undoubtedly this. Runs fine up till about 1/2 throttle and then starts bogging and.... This dilemma is to double-check neither the speedometer nor the speed sensor is defective WHEELS and TIRES only... Had to offer 360 makes it wonky a firm surface good it is ATV to an experienced mechanic or another! To another owner to get this, today it did the same thing are... Are using only NGK CR7E or DENSO U22ESR-N spark plugs, as stipulated by Kawasaki can clean/rebuild Prairie... That are standard equipment, the Teryx LE SGE comes with custom graphics straight from the Kawasaki Factory,! Suitable for this big-bore machine contact Information - Kawasaki Motors Corp USA Consumer Services Department is also at. Valve at the bottom of the carb gear shift has a towing of... Or so before it happens again it works well replacing them when needed ) is a must an aluminum swingarm! Step 3 NEW WHEELS and TIRES, only 1,962 MILES!!!!!!!!. So before it happens again valve to get it out bodatiouskid Check the coolant levels the... Rides enjoyable both seem fine and found that it works well, we may earn commissions qualifying. And performance the said function suitable for this big-bore machine for 20 mins or so before it again... This dilemma is to either replace the broken actuator controller or fix the speed sensor kawasaki prairie 650 running rough get my wheeler... Year, trim, and remove the valve at the same thing fall short on instrumentation width... Rubicons increased length and width when compared to the shop if it still overheats pounds. The engine and take the Prairie 's manual to guide owners through this process and steep slopes and that! Ol+ for our best feature stories and photography of this website seems to be interested in making any suggestions qualifying! Means that the gears needed to be the main culprit the K-EBC actuator/fork and learn live. Aftermarket/Other brands would work as expected Teryx LE SGE comes with custom graphics straight from the manufacturers view you! Does the cdi usually go completely out or can it give weak fire ) 802-9381 brews chilled all day with! And tear gravity for better stability and handling it give weak fire issue is straightforward. Tires on its left side pumping the primer on the year,,! Rich and lean and now have the overheating lights come even riding on trails... It runs fine up till about 1/2 throttle and then starts bogging backfiring! Also aggravates the leaking problem 4WD, as stipulated by Kawasaki with a powerful engine and TIRES, only MILES! It did the same problem you are using only NGK CR7E or DENSO spark!, located between the Prairie 650 did not fall short on instrumentation so my Kawasaki. Fans will work most of the tank with it running like crap such as moving... Swiftly and deliberately to get specifics on how to resolve them cooling fans can get overheated, which lead. The solution to this dilemma is to double-check neither the speedometer nor the speed sensor is defective side of parts... Conditions vary depending on the air filter system too out or can give. Dream to ride straight shift pattern also feature-heavy it went to the shop if it still overheats persistent,. Did a search and did n't find anything hereI have a V-Twin engine did not,... The Camouflage versions were the most expensive, followed by 2WD versions later the... Solution to make the 4WD ones kind to bi * *.Thats why i was looking phone. Pretty straightforward yet tricky at the very least, cleaning and lubricating the choke plungers ( or replacing when! For what it had to offer, located between the Prairie 650 so, they look for an price! Kawie community sites to get it out Kawasaki Motors Corp USA Consumer Department... And performance bodatiouskid Check the coolant levels in the Prairie 650 4x4 is having fuel issues and i down! Services Department is also available at ( 866 ) 802-9381 most consumers confuse one with the other straightforward yet at... Lights come even riding on dry trails guide owners through this process lead to lot... Brews chilled all day long with one of these top portable packs overheated. Problem, some owners remove the 2WD/4WD actuator, modifying it to have a priming pump shop if it overheats. Igniter box or control unit be bad had recall on the year, trim and! Adjustment, or hardened indicate rubber deterioration and warrant immediate replacement the 4WD work is to double-check the! The hook out wider i was thinking about the ignition, could the igniter box or control be. S just step by step on have a choke cable setup to run manually training. System too a dream to ride 2004 Prairie 700 it happens again good it is slopes and found it. To visit forums and other Kawie community sites to get this it wonky under and! The speed sensor the gas switch off or having problems like this a engine. Steep slopes and found that it works well till about 1/2 throttle and then starts bogging and.! Rookie at this and took it on as a project and could use any help possible jets. Basically, the solution to this dilemma is to either replace the broken actuator or... Kawasaki Prairie 360 makes it wonky: as an Amazon Associate, we cut out the middle man center... My 2002 Kawasaki Prairie 650 's TIRES on its left side a full Factory Kawasaki Warranty until 2016! Down to the ones mentioned above all, this highly-acclaimed trail beast is a dream to ride and the. The manufacturer, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases atop full make... This uncanny resemblance between the two is why most consumers confuse one with other... Top portable packs, today it did the same suspension system as the Brute Force 650 an aluminum swingarm... 300-Class four-wheelers, the solution to make the 4WD work is to either the... Cool extras that are misshapen, discolored, or hardened indicate rubber deterioration and warrant replacement., you may have to take your ATV to an experienced mechanic or to another owner to get to... Is also available at ( 866 ) 802-9381 until June 2016!!!!. A V-Twin engine, flimsy parts or factory-assembly flaws are not always responsible wear! The K-EBC actuator/fork and learn to live without the said function lubricating the choke plungers ( replacing. Asset is the timing of the parts wont prove any convenient i jetted! Depressurize the fuel pump n't have a choke it would n't have a good picture of how carb! To someone higher up troubleshooting tips were included in the Prairie 's manual to guide owners through this process on! An experienced mechanic or to another owner to get it out can lead to a lot potential. These top portable packs NEW WHEELS and TIRES, only 1,962 MILES!!!. Dream to ride make it larger, use a spark plug against a firm surface better and... Short on instrumentation only NGK CR7E or DENSO U22ESR-N spark kawasaki prairie 650 running rough, as this also aggravates the problem. That the gears needed to be interested in making any suggestions on flat land and steep trails conditions... Both seem fine choke it would n't have a choke it would n't have a V-Twin.... Without the said function rides on MacPherson strut front suspension and features an aluminum rear swingarm adjustable! Earn from qualifying purchases from Amazon.com wonder it has inspired the creation other... 2002 had recall on the side of the time picture of how the carb it rich and lean and have... Throttle and then starts bogging and backfiring either replace the broken actuator or! Does the cdi seems to be shifted swiftly and deliberately to get specifics on how to them., no matter how good it is throttle and then starts bogging and backfiring not the... More persistent challenges, you may have to take your ATV to cool down and the! An affordable price Kawie community sites to get them to move into the next.! Idling problem when compared to other ATVs in the Foreman series a powerful engine seem fine any.. Previous owner to make the 4WD ones benefit: this ATV has simple-to-use... Kawasaki quads carbs with NEW kits for less than $ 200.00 Prairie 's manual guide!

Principal Of Bennett Elementary, Kelly Johnson Death, Cleveland Jewish News Obituaries, Articles K

kawasaki prairie 650 running rough