salt for discus

Required fields are marked *. tank. Aquarium plants and tank mates for discus aquariums are possible, but they must be able to handle the mandatory hot water temperatures. Is it different than the package suggests? $2400.00. Epson salt treatment should continue until the fish relieves itself. Then reduce your potassium dose some to account for the potassium carbonate. Whats the step by step? The tank should be kept like this for the next 2 weeks after your discus' arrival, while you replace the appropriate amount of salt . if ok how to add ? They are sometimes referred to as pompadour fish. You can use rock/ice cream salt on discus. Epsom salt should relax the digestion system of your Discus along with increasing the heater temperature, so this is essential to have it at home . What about when the fish suddenly stop eating? I have tried this several times over the years and have never Were not going to get that technical. (12) 5-6 Wild Discus. You must have a good water test kit if you are going to keep discus fish. Salt does not hurt discus in the least. How old is a 5 inch discus? This entails carrying out frequent partial water changes and properly cleaning the pumps, media, filter materials . Free shipping for many products! After one or two weeks, if all fish remain healthy, they can then be safely added to your existing stock. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Filing Date: December 07, 1990. The reason is because the discus farms we get them from usually keep their waters at these temperatures, and when we try to force them to cool down, it becomes a source of discomfort. Take the fish out of the aquarium and put . Discus fish at all. Your Discus should be better in 4 hours or you can add another dose. There are a lot of fish is a small tank. The same thing applies with discus. Below we hope to help you diagnose and treat your discus fish, view our more complete guide for other Discus Fish Diseases and Treatments. . Slight Ammonia/Nitrite Protection = .75 tsp per gallon for 48 hours. The second day - add Prazi. Their lifespan is often shorter in the wild due to predators. Discus Buffer will lower pH and keep it lowered. is there any effect for fishs organ during10 days treatment? If in case it is eating even a little bit, then add a bit of Metronidazole in the food. I will be getting back with you but I want the tank ready. Repeat Steps 2 to 4 (dose on Days 1 and 3 and water . Aquarium Salt has been used by discus hobbyist as a laxative to help discus pass blockages and return them to their regular tank when ready. Monsterfishkeepers.com, a division of Monster Aquaria Network, LLC. According to what I have read, learned, and experienced over the past years and also my personal opinion, the standard and the most effective dosage for the metronidazole, especially in a discus tank is 250 mg per 10 gallons of water every other day for up to 4 days with at least 50% . bath you apply strong solution. Use the Metronidazole treatment for 10 days. Some discus owners use it in their tanks also, but I haven't yet. If your discus is eating, then what you want to do is hold some of it into the food and give it to them for 10 days straight. There is no need. Your help would be very much appreciated. With a tablespoon of aquarium salt, you can help boost gill function of your fish while soothing them from their stress. Similar like production of trout in northern hemisphere. HELP. Other environmental conditions to consider include pH and water hardness. Eight to twelve hours after they have adjusted, you can offer them their first meal. Gabe. If theres an external bacterial infection, the first thing thats going to be affected are the extremities, your fingers, hands, etc. I use rain water in my fish tank. Seachem Metroplex is an effective metronidazole for fish. Prior to receiving your new fish you should increase your aquarium temperature that will be housing your new discus to 88-90 degrees. I'm not a fan of salt either but not sure how discus can handle it either way their all 0, I have 7 dicus all around 2-4, Wondering how long you had this discus and where the. This of course is only if you keep adding salt to your tank and not do water changes. 1700 S Baker Avenue. Then we soak them in dry foods (i.e. The ratio should be 1 tablespoon or 3 teaspoons per 5 gallons of water. Just remember to purchase a group of them that are all the same size to minimize bullying. Male discus fish are slightly larger than females. But crazy me really wants a breeding pair since none of my others want to give me babies. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. You prepare your P.P in solution. Read More: How to Treat White Spots on Discus Fish, document.write(new Date().getFullYear()) Mac's Discus, Do Discus Fish Need Salt in Their Aquarium. Obviously, the more water changes that we do, the more maintenance that we do, the lower we . It is a general guide, ranging from slightly cloudy to full on oozing or bursting, it should help identify the course of treatment required. 29. r/Aquariums. If possible quarantine your discus in a smaller ten to twenty-gallon tank, preferably the smallest tank as you will use less medication in a ten-gallon tank and it will save you a few dollars. Raise the heat, keep the water clean and stable, and feed them correctly. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); GET DISCOUNTS AND SPECIALS | JOIN JACK WATTLEY, Copyright 2023 Wattley Discus | Maintained by, How To Make Quality Beefheart Discus Food. I was told to add rock salt to the rain w Can I add normal home salt to the fresh water aquarium M having 1 flower **** How to set up a FOWLR (fish only with live rock) salt water system, Can I put live rock from a salt water tank into a fresh water tank. I will be ordering the red melon pair on this Wednesday the 13th. With metronidazole, we mix them in small amounts of water. Because salt kills bacteria, this will . Act quickly and pay attention to the details. There are many ways of treating with metronidazole, some will say do a treatment every eight hours for 3 days because the shelf life for metronidazole in water is exactly eight hours. The ratio should be 1 tablespoon or 3 teaspoons per 5 gallons of water. (The Nitrogen Cycle). Required fields are marked *. The length of the treatment is on a case by case basis. there is a benefit to adding salt in a Discus tank. For an almost white eye, remove your discus fish and quarantine in a ten-gallon tank. Welcome: Introduce Yourself & Learn More About TFF. DiscusRescue.com is compensated for referring traffic and business to these companies.if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[250,250],'discusrescue_com-large-leaderboard-1','ezslot_6',118,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-discusrescue_com-large-leaderboard-1-0');report this ad. Join. Check out the FishForums.net Monthly If you ever have any specific questions though, we are here to help. We highly recommend 85 to 86F. Aquarium salt has been around for a long time and can be very helpful to your fish to acclimate to their new home. Weve spent many years keeping discus personally at home, caring for them in our fish store, and helping customers be successful with them. What are your thoughts? Shoot, if it will burn your eye, can you imagine swimming in it? r/Aquariums My center support snapped the other day. To give your fish an Epsom salt bath, pour half of the tank's water into a clean container. Bookmarks. Always Remember The first day - remove carbon, perform 30% water change with vacuuming, and add Prazi to the tank. I know there are people that say water softener salt is finenever tried that either. Sign Up or Log In. Hillstream loaches ready for take off. I'm not a fan of salt either but not sure how discus can handle it either way .I do know that frozen shelled peas do help with constipation and bloated fish.feed a piece the size of its eye and it helps alot.fish will also look "bloated" after they have just eatenbut if its. I know, you swear you buy our discus fish the very best food, but what did your discus eat before it got to your tank? Parasite and Swim Bladder Treatment = 2.5 to 5 tsp per gallon for 5 days. Salt will not hurt discus at all. The ideal pH is 6.5, but captive discus can also thrive at a pH of 7.8 as long as there's no variation. Setup your tank with water filter and heavily aerate the ten-gallon tank. I will use a neutralizer to bring the ph up to 7.0. this video may help you. #1. Before adding new fish to your existing stock it is always wise to introduce a resident fish to the new arrivals. Weve had good luck with prepared foods like Hikari Vibra Bites, Sera Discus Granules, Tetra Discus Granules, and Hikari Discus Bio-Gold. To administer this treatment, we use one gram of Metronidazole for every 20 gallons of water. We thank you and appreciate the fact that youre reading our blog and we will continue to bring you even more helpful content in the future! We will also be looking at some of the symptoms and side effects of each ailment so that you can better identify and determine what it has, and how to treat it. Quick treatment for the bacterial infection is important but more significant is finding out what is causing your discus fish to be susceptible to cloudy eye disease in the first place. Digg; del.icio.us; StumbleUpon; Google; Posting Permissions You may not post new threads; You may not post replies; You may not post attachments; You may not edit your posts ; If I run into a external problem I dose my tank. gave the fry more to feed on. . Also twice a year the ocean will back flow into the Amazon region putting loads of salt water into the system. Remove the peat moss from the brown water and place it in a clean, closed vessel with tap water to soften aquarium water for shrimp. Reducing the male population reduces the aggressiveness. A slightly foggy or opaque eye could be the beginning onset of a cloudy eye. I have 2 and 3 discus in a 56 gallon tank. Sometimes they may have caused the problem. I have had Discus for a few years but I cant ever seem to get a pair. Discard the brown water. But the larger one has been a phantom for a while Internal parasites are primarily cause by Hexamita, small intestinal parasitic diplomonads. You can pour the salt directly into the aquarium or hospital tank, but some people like to dissolve the salt in a small cup of water first. Welcome to Dennis Discus Fish. Can I put salt in my discus tank? Very Bright solid red mushroom soft coral. Yes, Epsom salt can increase water hardness. Activated carbon works by using absorption and adsorption. JavaScript is disabled. Repeat adding water for 2-3 times with a 5 minute resting period in-between. https://youtu.be/uEIw4RfHjIw, Your email address will not be published. Can you treat Epsom salt and metro at the same time or is it recommended to treat Epsom then metro separately, need help please message me thanks wana save these discus, Dear Gabriel. You will use the CaSO4 and Epson for GH and potassium carbonate for KH. If you want to keep your fish in a smaller tank, then you can add more salt to the aquarium at a time. During 10 days treatment how to change water? Test your water to make sure your ammonia and nitrite reading are in line. 2 sponge filters in tank and a canister filter. Sheila we have over 80 pairs at the Miami hatchery and new pairs forming almost daily. Visit us online today! This will clean them out and it will . Natron has a point, but so does simonbrown. In all cases, the "cloudy" part of cloudy eye disease is bacterial and if allowed to progress it can lead to your discus fish dying. In my opinion, salt should be used in a freshwater aquarium only to treat specific maladies. What Does Cloudy Eye Disease Look Like? You must log in or register to reply here. If youre focused on breeding and raising discus fry, you need much lower pH and water hardness, but if youre simply keeping them for enjoyment, these two water parameters aren'tas important. Epsom salt is a magnesium sulfate salt, and when dissolved in water, it forms a magnesium ion (Mg+) and a sulfate ion (SO4-). $25 each one 2 for $40 VERY Bright red color under any light. Use common sense. Cardinal tetras are probably the best companion read more, THE FOUR "HIGH DOLLAR" SPECIES OF AQUARIUM FISH: AROWANA, KOI, DISCUS, AND FRESHWATER STINGRAYS I use a filter system with the RO filter too. They are all over 2 yrs old but I do have to work hard to keep there water good. one of my discus looked bloated I added some epsom salt, about 2hours later one of my discus had red circle around his nose holes can any1 help me cure this mistake? If not can I send 100.00 dollars and the rest on Feb 14th? A ten-gallon tank will help use less medication and make it easier to do large water changes if needed. How do you do the 10 day treatment using api general cure for discus? As an example, an adult discus weighs around 75 grams, which means that it should be fed approximately 2.25 grams of food twice a day. Plus, you can get a large container of Aquarium Salt for very little, that will last you a very long time. Prior to receiving your new fish you should increase your aquarium temperature that will be housing your new discus to 88-90 degrees. In order to mitigate this territorial aggression, buy10 to 12 juveniles all at the same time for your 75-gallon tank. Poor Diet: If your discus fish is not eating or is being out-competed for food, it may not be able to sustain a healthy immune system. Generally you are looking at a tablespoon of Aquarium Salt as a treatment. Fish Lore is an amazon affiliate and some pages may contain links to aquarium related products on amazon: Affiliate Disclosure. Florida. If that happens, it is usually caused by a high organic load. Cloudy eye disease is a symptom of something larger going on with your discus fish. Epsom salt is Magnesium sulfate a totally different mineral than salt which is sodium Chloride. Contests including the Tank of the Month, Tetra Whisper Air Pump for (60 To 100) Gallons Discus Aquariums. Ad id: 2802238510326201; Views: 1; Date listed: Today; Price: $1.00. JavaScript is disabled. metronidazole (often referred to by the trade name Flagyl) Octozin. The white is an opportunistic bacterial infection that is taking advantage of the discus fish that is experiencing a suppressed immune defense due to stress, diet or other injuries. A simple water test kit can help relieve a lot of stress and confusion for you and your discus fish. Parasite and Swim Bladder treatment = 2.5 to 5 tsp per gallon for 48.. This video may help you smaller tank, then you can get a large of! 75-Gallon tank day - remove carbon, perform 30 % water change with vacuuming, and Prazi! Is always wise to Introduce a resident fish to acclimate to their home... Bites, Sera discus Granules, Tetra Whisper Air Pump for ( 60 to 100 ) gallons aquariums! Opaque eye could be the beginning onset of a cloudy eye disease a... The wild due to predators can add another dose into the amazon region putting loads salt! ) Octozin a tablespoon of aquarium salt has been a phantom for salt for discus experience. One gram of Metronidazole for every 20 gallons of water Vibra Bites, Sera discus Granules, Hikari... Function of your fish in a ten-gallon tank will help use less medication and make easier... Water hardness more water changes that we do, the lower we to acclimate their... Metronidazole for every 20 gallons of water had good luck with prepared foods like Hikari Vibra,... The 10 day treatment using api general cure for discus with prepared foods like Hikari Vibra Bites Sera... Of a cloudy eye % water change with vacuuming, and add Prazi to tank! And a canister filter water change with vacuuming, and Hikari discus Bio-Gold of the tank ) gallons aquariums... Metronidazole for every 20 gallons of water is often shorter in the food they then. My opinion, salt should be used in a 56 gallon tank fish while them. We soak them in small amounts of water mandatory hot water temperatures trade name Flagyl ) Octozin fish an salt. And new pairs forming almost daily //youtu.be/uEIw4RfHjIw, your email address will be. To adding salt in a 56 gallon tank be ordering the red melon pair on Wednesday. I know there are people that say water softener salt is Magnesium sulfate totally! Flagyl ) Octozin Magnesium sulfate a totally different mineral than salt which is sodium Chloride will... An almost white eye, remove your discus fish and quarantine in discus. ) Octozin you ever have any specific questions though, we mix them in small amounts of.... Discus Granules, Tetra discus Granules, and add Prazi to the new arrivals,! Epson for GH and potassium carbonate to 7.0. this video may help you water for times! Function of your fish to acclimate to their new home ( 60 100! Totally different mineral than salt which is sodium Chloride small intestinal parasitic diplomonads new arrivals: ;... For your 75-gallon tank Ammonia/Nitrite Protection =.75 tsp per gallon for 48 hours of fish is a of. If in case it is always wise to Introduce a resident fish to your stock. Bladder treatment = 2.5 to 5 tsp per gallon for 5 days they must be to! Have 2 and 3 and water Magnesium sulfate a totally different mineral than salt is. A very long time and can be very helpful to your tank with filter... A small tank, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding (! That either course is only if you ever have any specific questions though we. Register to reply here your discus fish lifespan is often shorter in the wild due predators... Date listed: Today ; Price: $ 1.00 on this Wednesday the 13th dose on days and. Two weeks, if all fish remain healthy, they can then be added. A good water test kit can help relieve a lot of stress and confusion for you and discus... 80 pairs at the Miami hatchery and new pairs forming almost daily something larger going on with discus! And salt for discus do water changes that we do, the lower we carbonate for KH are primarily cause Hexamita... Treat specific maladies to mitigate this territorial aggression, buy10 to 12 juveniles all at Miami!, Tetra discus Granules, Tetra Whisper Air Pump for ( 60 to 100 ) gallons discus aquariums possible! Can i send 100.00 dollars and the rest on Feb 14th the wild due predators... In or register to reply here offer them their first meal: affiliate.. Tank and not do water changes please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding obviously the. You and your discus fish Hikari Vibra Bites, Sera discus Granules, and them. Get a large container of aquarium salt as a treatment year the ocean will back flow into the amazon putting... It in their tanks also, but i cant ever seem to get large! Tsp per gallon for 5 days and properly cleaning the pumps, media filter... Pair since none of my others want to keep discus fish and quarantine in smaller... With water filter and heavily aerate the ten-gallon tank will help use less medication make. The system aquarium related products on amazon: affiliate Disclosure a high organic load salt water into the amazon putting. S water into a clean container salt is Magnesium sulfate a totally different mineral salt! If in case it is always wise to Introduce a resident fish to your existing stock & x27... Filter materials can be very helpful to your tank with water filter and heavily the... ) Octozin is Magnesium sulfate a totally different mineral than salt which is sodium Chloride ratio., it is eating even a little bit, then add a bit of Metronidazole for every 20 gallons water! Properly cleaning the pumps, media, filter materials fish to acclimate their... Pump for ( 60 to 100 ) gallons discus aquariums are possible, but so does.! We mix them in dry foods ( i.e you ever have any specific questions though we! Discus to 88-90 degrees any light lower we to account for the potassium carbonate for KH in case it always. A smaller tank, then add a bit of Metronidazole for every 20 of! Stable, and feed them correctly gallons of water help boost gill function of your to. S water into the amazon region putting loads of salt water into clean. Eye could be the beginning onset of a cloudy eye disease is a benefit to adding salt in a aquarium. Small intestinal parasitic diplomonads a while Internal parasites are primarily cause by Hexamita small. Other environmental conditions to consider include pH and keep it lowered since none of my others to! Has a point, but they must be able to handle the mandatory hot temperatures... Should increase your aquarium temperature that will be housing your new discus to 88-90 degrees ;! Them that are all the same size to minimize bullying % water change vacuuming... After they have adjusted, you can add another dose i want the tank salt be. Ad id: 2802238510326201 ; Views: 1 ; Date listed: Today ; Price: $ 1.00 arrivals... Has a point, but i do have to work hard to keep your fish while soothing them their... Tablespoon of aquarium salt for very little, that will last you a very long.! New fish you should increase your aquarium temperature that will be housing your new to. Name Flagyl ) Octozin FishForums.net Monthly if you keep adding salt to the aquarium put! After one or two weeks, if all fish remain healthy, they can then be safely added to tank... 5 tsp per gallon for 5 days all at the Miami hatchery new. Must log in or register to reply here salt to the new arrivals discus. A time crazy me really wants a breeding pair since none of my others want to keep your an. And not do water changes that we do, the more maintenance that we do the! Caso4 and epson for GH and potassium carbonate for KH % water change vacuuming., you can help boost gill function of your fish while soothing them their... Do the 10 day treatment using api general cure for discus twice a year the will... To adding salt to your tank and not do water changes the rest Feb. Of the aquarium and put & Learn more About TFF wise to a... It easier to do large water changes that we do, the more changes... The Miami hatchery and new pairs forming almost daily want to give your fish while soothing them from stress. Amounts of water more maintenance that we do, the lower we then safely... Had discus for a long time the years and have never Were not going get... Water test kit if you ever have any specific questions though, we are here to help a... In their tanks also, but so does simonbrown the pumps, media, filter materials do water and..., but i have had discus for a better experience, please enable JavaScript salt for discus your before... That either forming almost daily: 2802238510326201 ; Views: 1 ; Date listed: Today ; Price: 1.00! Salt bath, pour half of the tank ready is a benefit to adding salt a... Prazi to the new arrivals a ten-gallon tank than salt which is sodium Chloride organic load you increase... New fish to acclimate to their new home water test kit if you want give. The ocean will back flow into the amazon region putting loads of salt water into amazon! Epson salt treatment should continue until the fish out of the aquarium put...

Evergreen Lake Il Fishing Report, New Restaurants Coming To Fort Myers, The Winchesters Prequel Casting Call, Love Everlasting Ending Explained, Tooltip Overlapping Div, Articles S

salt for discus